|Released||August 27, 2015 Patch|
- "And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?" Oh, they only answer "More! More! More!"
- ―Fortunate Son publicity blurb
The Fortunate Son was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
The '''Fortunate Son''' is a community-created cosmetic item for the Scout. It is a Vietnam-War era M1 helmet with the phrase "BORN TO RUN" written on it in marker on one side. On the other side, four rifle rounds are held onto the helmet by a leather strap, with a team-colored peace sign button with the phrase "BETTER RED THAN DEAD" or "BETTER DEAD THAN RED" written on it.
- Fortunate Son is a song by the band Creedence Clearwater Revival. This song was used in the film "Full Metal Jacket;" the helmet on the movie's poster being the inspiration for this hat.
- "BETTER RED THAN DEAD" and "BETTER DEAD THAN RED" are a pair of competing slogans from the Cold War era. The first suggests that it is better to submit to communism (the "red") than die in nuclear war; the second stating the opposite position. In the context of Team Fortress 2, the phrase simply reflects feelings on RED.
- "Born to run" is a modification of the phrase "Born to kill," which is written on the helmet shown in the poster for the Vietnam War film Full Metal Jacket. Born to Run is also the name of an album by Bruce Springsteen (as well as a hit single from that album). It came out in 1975, however, some years after the events of Team Fortress 2.
Update history Edit
August 27, 2015 Patch
- The Fortunate Son was added to the game.